Morristown, NJ 07960
Acorn Hall is an 1853 Victorian Italianate mansion located in Morristown, Morris County, that is on the National Register of Historic Places. It serves as the headquarters of the Morris County Historical Society, which operates Acorn Hall as a historic house museum.
Named for the two-centuries-old oak tree formerly standing on its property, Acorn Hall was built in 1853 by the Schermerhorn family as a simple four-room over four-room farmhouse. Following the death of Mrs. Schermerhorn in 1854, Dr. Schermerhorn put the house and its contents up for sale. It was purchased in 1857 by the Augustus Crane family of New York. The Cranes in 1860 had the house enlarged and remodeled in the then-fashionable Italianate Villa style. After being passed down through several generations, the house was given to the Historical Society in 1971 by Mary Crane Hone. Historians have recognized Acorn Hall for its authentic mid-Victorian era furnishings, primarily pieces from the Schermerhorn and Crane-Hone families, supplemented with significant objects from other prominent Morris County families of the 19th century. Carpeting, wall coverings, and decorative paint techniques remain as they were in the nineteenth century.
Acorn Hall also offers an exhibit gallery with changing exhibits highlighting various aspects of Morris County history and Victorian culture.
Location Tools:Local Weather
Share this Location:Email to a Friend